Welcome to the holiday season! Good times with family and friends. Food, drink, presents and stress! In a perfect world there would not be any stress during the holidays, but I think we can all agree it is not a perfect world. Beautiful….yes….perfect…no.,
However, there are many ways we can reduce stress during the holidays, and by doing so we can reduce the influence that Cortisol plays on the accumulation of belly fat.
What Is Cortisol?
Cortisol is a naturally occurring steroid produced by the pituitary gland. It plays an essential role in our “fight or flight” response. Unfortunately, for too many of us, stress is a constant in our daily lives and we never get a break from the unending production of Cortisol. A little Cortisol is a good thing….a lot of Cortisol is a bad thing. High levels of Cortisol are associated with increased belly fat, among other negative health factors.
Don’t Stress With These Tips
So, how do we combat stress? Just follow some simple tips:
1) Get plenty of sleep. This is probably the most important tip. Not enough sleep compounds almost every problem and leads to a host of health issues.
2) Get a massage. Studies show that massage is effective at reducing Cortisol levels.
3) Take a walk. Walking is good at lowering your blood pressure and is a great stress release.
4) Breathe deeply. Breathing exercises are proven to help combat stress.
5) Eat mindfully and don’t try to diet. Trying to stick to a diet durning the holidays is near impossible. In fact, dieting in general is not the best way to control your eating. Explore other options like intermittent fasting.
6) Enjoy your time with others. Spending time with good friends is shown to reduce stress.
7) Listen to music. Music can put your mind at ease.
8) Laugh….oh yeah. Laughter is the best medicine.
9) Exercise. Some brief bouts of exercise are a great stress reliever. Just don’t over do it.
10) Make time for some “me time”. You can’t be your best and help others if you’re not taking care of yourself.
The holidays are a wonderful time. Make sure you stay healthy and skip the stress this year.
Combating Holiday Stress With Reno Massage Therapy
The holidays are a time for family and friends; don’t let the stress of the holiday season get in the way of your health. A therapeutic massage with Patrick Hicks can help to lower Cortisol levels that cause unwanted belly fat and stress. Schedule an appointment with Reno Massage Therapy expert Patrick Hicks today to help brighten your holiday season!
I believe in you!