What is Therapeutic Massage?
Massage therapists are trained to work on muscles and other soft tissues to help increase bodily function, ease pain and lessen stress.
Therapeutic massage has been practiced for thousands of years, dating as far back as 2700 BCE. The ancient Chinese and Egyptians used massage as a form of medical practice in their everyday life. Some ancient Egyptian tomb paintings even depict people giving each other hand and foot rubs! It wasn’t until the 1800s that massage therapy truly developed. Swedish doctor and gymnast Per Henril Ling created the “Swedish Movement System”, a practice that would later be the foundation for the most common type of massage practice in the West.
Now, massage therapy has expanded into a wide variety of practices for many different kinds of uses. Some of the most common techniques practiced today include Shiatsu, hot stone, deep tissue, and sports massage.
Patrick Hicks provides therapeutic massage for a number of ailments. You should get a massage if:
1. You have body pains
- Whether you have a pain in the neck, back, shoulder, hip or another area of your body, these pains are your bodies way of communicating that something is wrong. When you ignore the signals that your body is sending, these pains get worse and can often lead to injury or more serious problems. A certified massage therapist can help diagnose the problem areas and work to relieve your pain.
2. You have constant headaches
- There are many reasons why you may be getting headaches, such as lack of sleep, water or proper nutrition, but constant headaches can be tied to stressors in your body. When the muscles around your shoulders, back or shoulders get tight, tension headaches can result from restricted blood flow to the brain. Therapeutic massage can help relieve this tension while also promoting a healthy posture to get rid of these pains in the future.
3. You are stressed out
- A massage can greatly decrease stress levels. Massage helps you to immediately relax not only your body, but your mind as well. By alleviating the tension in your body, that in turns helps to alleviate tension and stress in your mind,
4. You don’t get enough sleep
- Sleep is an important process that our bodies undergo every day to recover and heal. By promoting relaxation habits, massage therapy can instantly begin to promote healthy sleeping habits.
5. You have limited range of motion
- If you are having difficulties rotating your neck, hips or lifting your arms all the way up, those taught muscles will only continue to deteriorate your range of motion. If you have muscular restriction, massage therapy may be able to help restore movement and ease tense muscles by focusing on these problem areas.
6. It boosts your immunity
- By getting the blood flowing, your body’s blood composition can be changed for the better. Long strokes, deep kneading and circular movement on the back can help push blood toward the heart. This can play a major role in protecting the body from tumors, viral infections, or other pathogens according to The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
7. You don’t receive regular massages
- Massages work best when you receive them on a regular basis. Just as you bring your car to the shop for regular maintenance, you should treat your body the same way! Regular therapeutic massage can help keep your body injury free. Schedule an appointment….
If you are affected by any of these, then you should schedule yourself a massage today with Reno massage therapist Patrick Hicks!